26 November 2010

Curtain Calls

EJ never bothered with curtains till the new neighbour did major renovations to the house from front to back and top to bottom. 

With all foreign workers working and staying in, EJ felt a little insecure and decided that it was time to put up curtains on the two front windows.

Lugging this borrowed old drill that weighed like 16 tons to EJ up the low ladder on creaky knees wasn't easy. Holding the heavy drill above eye level, drilling was not exactly accurate. EJ took many tea breaks. Frequent climbing up and down lugging that ancient drill was tiring. It was a vicious cycle.

Putting up these curtains up probably take a couple of hours for professionals; EJ took days. 

Soon the weight of the curtains and the rod took its toll on that amateurish drilled part. The whole curtain threatened to fall.

Down came the curtain and the rod and up went EJ again on the ladder. This time EJ took the easy way out. All EJ did was stuff white cement at where the screw was and hope it would hold after the cement dried.

So far so good and hope it stays that way.

19 comments:

Jacqueline said...

That was a great fix, EJ!...We just hope it holds up if any kitties decide to try to climb the curtains!!...Happy Friday, sweet friends...kisses...Calle, Halle, Sukki

Drunk On Books And Adventure said...

EJ, you are more DIY handy than my hubby!!!

Kay L. Davies said...

Very nice curtain rod, EJ.
Yes, Jacqueline's right, the curtains have to be able to hold the weight of at least one and maybe two or three cats. LOL
Thinking of you,
K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Mr Puddy said...

My mom agree with Jaqueline and Kay. Because one day I tried to catch the fry and I just jump and hang in the middle of the curtain before I let go. My weight is 6.4 kg. + Curtain weigh... Have to be real strong !!!

nurul said...

good job ej! :)

Linens and Royals said...

Brave E.J to climb the ladder and do all that drilling, I'm sure the curtains will stay up after being tested for strength by the cats.

Old Kitty said...

Well it looks ok and it looks like it's worked!! Yay for lovely EJ!! Well done you!!!
:-)

Take care
x

Gattina said...

Bravo !! what a work ! I would have fallen off the ladder and the curtains with me, lol !
Good job !
I also have curtains on the front, otherwise everybody can see me from the street ! dressed or undressed !

We love Luna said...

Great work there EJ, I think it's well fixed, no problems from now on!
purrs and a nice weekend
Luna

Tracy said...

Good for EJ, sometimes the prize is in the effort and satisfaction of a job, well, DONE!

Kea said...

Hahaha. That's pretty much how our mom puts up curtain rods--and what happens to them! :-)

P.S. She discovered "wall grippers," which are super-heavy duty wall anchors. They do the trick!

Hannah and Lucy said...

Well done EJ - we would never have thought of putting white cement there to hold the curtain rail up.

SASS....Sammy Andy Shelly Sierra said...

YAY, EJ!!!!!!!! We're so happy you persisted and that it is now holding......love to y'all...and don't forget to check our blog on Monday. xxxxxxxxx

Marg said...

Good job EJ. Much better than our Mom can do. She would mess it up something horrible. Good thinking about the glue.
Take care and have a great weekend.

Katnip Lounge said...

Holy Crow! That drill must be from the 40's! What a chore...the cement solution was genius. Fingers crossed it holds forever!

Annie Bear said...

We all know EJ is a hard worker and never gives up. I always applaud her efforts and work. I hope these curtains stay up!!

GRAÇA said...

I come to remind you to not forget to send me a short letter to the raffle, Christmas day until 2 / 12
Good weekendof
Kika
Ronronzinhos

Ashkarya said...

I agree with Blackie007, you are more handy than my hubby! Hope the rod holds.

Sharon Wagner said...

My fingers and toes are crossed. You'll just have to take my word for it!